22 February 2013

Two Billion Cars

The book, Two Billion Cars: Driving Toward Sustainability, written by transportation experts Daniel Sperling and Deborah Gordon, is a professional look at the past, present and future of vehicles in America and worldwide. The book illuminates environmental issues surrounding, not only America's dependence, but also India and China's rapidly growing desire for personal vehicles. It then gives progressive, sustainable solutions to these transportation problems including searching for fuel alternatives and reforming government policies. On the first page of the first chapter the authors share the following thought:
"Cars are arguably one of the greatest man-made threats to human society . . . The desire for personal vehicles is powerful and pervasive."
Having never owned a car I do not completely identify with the dependence, but I do identify with the desire. I get around pretty well. I can get to work, school, grocery stores, malls, and the airport without a car or even a ride for that matter. I've never had to go without because I don't own a vehicle; I just find other ways to get all the things I need and most of the things I want. I think my desire to have a car stems from two things: others aspiration for cars (basically peer pressure and status quo) and convenience. 

Even before I had a gainful employment and my own apartment, friends and family wondered if and when I would be getting a car. That seemed a little backwards to me; I mean if I can't feed myself I probably shouldn't own a car. When I did find an acceptable job with steady income and my own place, I was content, but the questions about getting a car came up all over again. Unless you live in New York, Chicago, DC, or San Francisco, you're expected to have a car; its the "American" way. According to Sperling and Gordon, this is part of the "unsustainable transportation path" from which we should be moving away.

Most days I have no problem hopping the bus or train to my favorite restaurant for lunch or dinner, to linger in stores at the mall, or to spend hours browsing books at the library or book store; actually I prefer it. However, when it raining, sleeting or snowing, or when I'm just exhausted from the week and need some groceries, the last thing I want to do is ride public transportation. Just last week I posted on Facebook, "It would be nice to walk out the door and get into a car." On cold days like today, when the temperature hovers around freezing and snow flurries around my head, it would be nice to be able to have a car available. Then I think about how much lower my carbon footprint is and how much money I save by not having to maintain a car, so I bundle up and stride on.

Definitely looking forward to this read!

No comments:

Post a Comment